Saturday, March 31, 2012

This Week In Entertainment

Just like everyone else on the planet, I was absolutely STOKED to see the first Hunger Games movie. Mr. Bo and I both read the books last year, and loved them. Mr. Bo does not read many books, so the fact that he was able to not only finish one, but all of them, AND enjoy them was a pretty big deal. While we did not buy our tickets in advance to go see the midnight premier, we were able to sneak away for a few hours this week (we were both on spring break) to catch a matinee showing.
 In case you are one of the few who don't know, let me give you a brief catch up. The story takes place in a post-apocalyptic world where the entire population is divided into 12 districts, and ruled by one capitol. In order to remind the citizens of their over-all rule, as well as being a punishment for an attempted uprising against them, the capitol selects 2 children (a male and a female) at random from each district to participate in an annual reality-type-show called "The Hunger Games." The children are placed in a giant "natural," yet controlled arena (think "The Truman Show") and forced to fight to the death until there is one left standing. Intriguing, yes?
 I was afraid that my expectations were just too high, and that I was going to be disappointed. I was not. I loved it. "The Hunger Games" got everything right that "Twilight" got wrong. I was able to like the movie independently from the book (meaning I enjoyed the movie, not just because I liked the book, but because it was actually good). It stayed just about as true to the book as it possibly could without making the movie too long and drawn out. There was no over acting, no cheese, and the CGI graphics looked realistic and spot on. I left the movie theater feeling much the same way I did every time I finished reading one of the books; as if there was no way I was possibly going to be able to wait for the next one. But alas, I will. Even if you haven't read the books (and shame on you if you haven't), go see this movie.

After what seemed like years of waiting (oh wait, it was years of waiting), Weeds season 7 finally made it to NetFlix. We have been watching this series from the beginning, which is probably the only reason we are still watching it now; because we feel like we have to just to see how it is all going to end. Since leaving Agrestic the show has just not been the same. The location changes every year, and what used to be a lighthearted show about a pot dealing soccer mom, has now taken so many crazy twists and turns (i.e. arson, human trafficking, murder, prison and Copenhagen) I can hardly remember the Nancy Botwin that once was. This season has managed to redeem itself some what, and has me at least back to not feeling like finishing the season is just another "chore" added to my to-do list. I like it, but wish I could love it.

Mr. Bo and I don't watch a ton of T.V. anymore... or at least we don't get to catch our former favorite shows regularly anymore (let's be honest, the TV is usually on, we're just not watching it...It's amazing what having a child will do to you). We do not have a DVR, so if we don't catch a show at it's original air date, we don't watch it (unless we care enough to Hulu it). There is one show though, that we do try to make it to the couch in time for, and that show is True TV's "Impractical Jokers." Suprised? Don't be, I love candid camera shows, and this is one of the best I have ever seen. It literally has us both in tears (laughing, of course) every single week. Trust me, this show is worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment