Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Adventures of Baby Bo: 6 Months

Since I know all you lovely readers can't hardly wait the 30ish days between my "Adventures..." installments I decided to write this post a day early. You're welcome.

 Tomorrow I get to celebrate my first Mother's Day as a mom! We will be taking a short trip to visit my grandma and spend some time with family. I'm so excited! However, as excited as I am for my special day, I am even more excited for BB's special day....his half birthday!  It's only been six months, but I can nary remember a time when I did not even know him yet. Just recently I was talking with my grandma about the unconditional love one has for their children, and how you can't even begin to explain what an overwhelming feeling it is until you experience it for yourself. She puts it so perfectly when she talks about her first born, and remembers saying aloud "I knew I was going to have a baby, but I had no idea it was going to be YOU!"
This time I won't ramble on about BB's sleeping and eating habits like I usually do (lucky you), mainly because they haven't changed much since five months. He goes to bed between 7 and 8, wakes up between 6 and 7, and takes three naps a day. He takes one 8 oz bottle every four hours, and now eats two meals of solid food each day, one mid morning and one early evening, usually one being just oatmeal or rice cereal, and the other being cereal mixed with a vegetable. This week we will introduce fruit! So far he has been eating store bought baby food, but once he upgrades to three meals a day I will begin making my own. I'm pretty excited, and have some fun recipes and ideas to try out.
BB has yet to begin cutting his first tooth, but this past week he was a bit fussier than usual, which makes me wonder if perhaps there isn't something going on in those gums that I can't see yet. Since he has always had a tendency to be an annoying and fussy terror a bit sensitive, and has been a slobbery, disgusting mess a bit slobbery since about three months and ALWAYS has something in his mouth (if it isn't a pacifier, it's his fingers or a toy) it's hard to tell what's really going on in that mouth of his. He doesn't seem to be having any trouble sleeping though, so I would imagine the worst is still yet to come.
At about 5 1/2 months BB's rolling over skills really began to  take off, and now we can hardly keep him in one place. The quilt that we usually lay out on the living room floor for him is about to be rendered obsolete since he never stays on it anymore anyway. We have wood floors, which poses a bit of a problem when he does roll off the blanket, because usually he bangs his head on the floor (maybe I am just misreading his cues, but I don't think he likes it very much when that happens). I think the purchase of an area rug may be in our near future. He has also begun rolling onto his tummy when he sleeps, which is fine with me because he sleeps so much more soundly that way, but brings along with it the issue of his diaper leaking and soaking the front of his pants and shirt, meaning I ending up changing his clothes and sheets after almost every nap time. I believe a bigger diaper size may be in our near future too! Another important task in our future as well: baby proofing! Aside from rolling around the room, BB also has a walker, so we have begun covering electrical sockets, hiding cords, and locking up kitchen cabinets.  I'd like to think we will be able to get away with the bare-proofing-minimum but I think any parent would agree, that is not really up to me! We shall see as he grows older what other additions we need to make (does the AAP have anything against handcuffing a toddler to the couch?)*
Mr. Bo and I are both more than anxious for summer time to begin. We will both have a lot more time off, which means a lot more time to spend as a family. BB will be at a really fun age, and we can't wait to start doing lots of fun summer time activities with him, including going to the pool, getting BB his own wading pool for the back yard, going to the park, and whatever other fun (and free) things we can come up with!

Hangin' at the park with dad

My 18 lb. bundle of joy

"I love this thing!"





*I do not condone, nor have I ever participated in, handcuffing a child to the couch or any other furniture/household item. Take a joke, and please don't report me to DFS.

No comments:

Post a Comment