Sunday, July 29, 2012

A Little Bo History

You can admit, it's ok....It is a little bit annoying that I always use the name "Bo" when referring to my family members in each and every entry. Believe me, I am aware. There is however meaning behind it, so I have decided to give you all a quick history lesson in hopes that you can better understand the true significance of the name.
Mr. Bo has always had a somewhat difficult last name to pronounce. It was back when he was 12 and playing for a little league all-star team that a game announcer mispronounced the first syllable of his last name as "bo" instead of the correct pronunciation of "bow" (like a dog says "bow-wow!") While I am not going to tell you what our actual last name is, I will tell you that this mispronunciation for some reason stuck, and from that point on his friends began referring to him simply as "Bo." The name followed Mr. Bo the rest of the way through junior high, high school, into college, and then into his first job after graduation. It was at this point that I met him, and I, just like so many others to meet him post-HS, never knew that "Bo" wasn't his real name. Now as a 30 something adult he has two groups of friends...those who met him in his" HS through immediately after college" days and still call him "Bo", and those people who he has met in more recent years and who are probably completely unaware that he even has a nick-name. Well I get a kick out of the name, and since we now share the same last name, I feel that makes me an honorary Bo.
When trying to decide on a name for my blog, I happened to remember the old song "Mr. Bojangles" by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and decided to run with it. Since this is a public blog (meaning anyone and everyone all over the world has access to read it), in order to "protect the innocent" I never use any of our real names (nor do I mention too many specific locations, towns, etc. when writing about our lives), and therefore refer to each member of the family as a respective "Bo." 


...Aaaaannd mystery solved. Any more question? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment