Wednesday, September 26, 2012

This Week in Entertainment

What Mr. Bo and I have been watching lately....


Shame on me. I have been sucked in, and boy am I in deep. I'm talking about the first ladies of Bravo t.v.; The Real Housewives. More specifically, The Real Housewives of NYC. These women are some of the nastiest, meanest, most terrible and self centered women I have ever seen...and Monday evenings you can find me soaking up every over the top, dramatic, wonderfully addicting minute of it. While in the past I have been known to catch a random Housewives marathon episode here and there, never have I watched an entire season from beginning to end. But alas, the NYC season finale is next week, and I have yet to miss an episode. Perhaps this season's redeeming factor has been that, among all the cray-cray chaos that is Real Housewives, there has risen a beacon of light: Carol, a Housewife after my own heart. She portrays a sense of class that puts every Housewife from every other season to shame. LuAnne may be right, money can't buy you class, but even the countess could learn a thing or two from the princess. Ah Carol, so calm, cool, collected, and wonderfully forgiving, she is the one and only housewife I truly admire. Then there's Ramona, the Housewife I love to hate, and Aviva, the Housewife I used to love but now I just hate.
If the phrase "Ramonja" means nothing to you, good. You should probably keep it that way. But if you feel like joining me on the dark side, then meet me Monday night for some Ramona Pinot Grigio, some Sonja in the City hors d'oeuvres, and some good ol' fashioned cat fights!


Because I fear I may have writer's remorse soon after posting this, I feel I need to redeem myself by telling you about my other most recent obsession: Dowton Abbey. A little more refined, yes? Although I was pleased to see the show did get some Emmy nods, and even a win for Maggie Smith as Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, I still think this is the most underrated show on television (perhaps because it is on PBS). I just finished watching the first season on Netflix, but will be a little more hard fixed to find a way to watch the second season as it is not on Netflix yet. As it is described on the Netflix menu, this show "chronicles the comings and goings of the upper-crust Crawly family and their assorted servants" throughout the WWI era. It touches on such topics as social class, women's rights, and even homosexuality, yet is not nearly as sensationalized as most drama on television (maybe why Mr. Bo chooses to watch Breaking Bad instead). If you're not already watching the show yourself, you should be. Take my advice and don't give up after the first episode, because (in my opinion) it was a bit slow to start....but it's about to get so good, so give it chance. Plus, if you're like me, you will have fun imitating their English/Irish accents when talking to your children, and saying fun things like "good sir" and "mu' lady."












No comments:

Post a Comment